Friday, July 18, 2014

What should I send my missionary - advice from some return missionaries



The question every mom or dad has... 

"What should I send my missionary?"
************************************************************************************

Below you will find some ideas and we will continue to add to the list.


    • the 3 c's - Clothes, Candy & Cards
    • mission appropriate music
    • HANDWRITTEN LETTERS
    • homemade rolls & jam
    • gift cards 
    • licorice
    • dry shampoo
    • letters
    • useful food
    • jello
    • peanut butter
    • beef jerky
    • American candy if they aren't in the states
    • food that you can't get in that mission
    • "anything"
    • anything homemade
    • pictures
    • handwritten letters  - this was on the list multiple times
    • makeup
    • deodorant or antiperspirant
    • razors
    • tampons
    • pens, sticky notes
    • HOLIDAY items (small decorations, candy, misc holiday items)
    • recipes (good idea to send recipes that are EASY to make and the food is easily found in the area they are serving in.
    • "Dental floss, contact lens cleaner, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mustard... my RM from Chile said those things were so expensive in Chile. Couldn't afford them often."
    • Homemade strawberry jam and jar (Costco) of peanut butter!!!
    • "Anything that I would use on my mission, that wouldn't just add weight to my suitcase.... like makeup, food that I couldn't get in Sweden (chocolate chips, good peanut butter) mission appropriate music...  Really though, I just loved getting letters and reading about whats going on in my friends and families lives!"
    • "My mom was great- she sent a package for each holiday.  For my first Thanksgiving, she sent me two sets of long garments... and I LOVED them!  I wore the bottoms under my hose/tights all stinking winter... both winters... and even now!"
    •  "My favorite things I ever received was a hug.  Around Christmas time my family rolled out some wrapping paper and traced their upper bodies, one on top of the other.  So when I opened it up I could wrap myself in it and it was like a group hug from my family.
    • "I always really liked a long letter from home included in the package more than anything in the package.  And my mom always sent 2 of everything which was nice because you didn't have to share.  Plus my companions all loved it too."
    • "Anything you forgot like a blanket... my gosh that was my saving grace."
    • "An old fashioned letter was always treasured."
    • "I loved getting handwritten letters, but I especially loved getting pictures. Pictures were the best!"
    • "Letter & pictures" (We hear this the most!)
    • "Also I loved getting things from little kids.  (Picture notes, handmade crafts)  The primary sent me stuff occasionally and I loved it.
    • "Recipes. My daughter is in a Spanish speaking mission, and eats LOTS of Mexican food, which she loves, but after a year wanted American things again, so I sent some of her favorite recipes."

check out:
http://missionarymommamall.com/

A fun blog with lots of ideas
http://missionarymail.blogspot.com/


There is an AWESOME thing called Amazon Prime Pantry!!! It is SO cool! You can fill up a box (or 2) of groceries, household items, toiletries, etc. and send it to your missionary in the US for only $5.99 shipping!! It usually takes only 2 days and its EVEN MORE COOL when you remember to change the ship to address to your missionary.

If you have other ideas, please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment